weather icon Clear

1-year-old died after stove fell on him in northeast Las Vegas

A 1-year-old boy died last month after a stove fell on top of him in the northeast valley, officials said.

The boy’s mother told police a stove fell on him about 6:50 p.m. May 27 at 5370 E. Craig Road, Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Jay Rivera said. The boy died at University Medical Center.

He was Lukas Smith of Las Vegas, according to the Clark County coroner’s office. He died of traumatic asphyxia and his death was ruled an accident.

A Clark County Division of Family Services report showed the organization had no prior history with Lukas or his family.

No arrests were made, but the boy’s siblings were placed with his father while officials investigated, Rivera said earlier this month.

A GoFundMe page was set up in his name to cover funeral and moving expenses.

Messages seeking comment from the fundraising page organizers were not returned.

Contact Mike Shoro at mshoro@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-5290. Follow @mike_shoro on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Pumpkin patches open and hoping for the best amid pandemic

Pumpkin patches across the country are gearing up for Halloween with a lot of uncertainty, though it is one of the few activities that health experts say the pandemic might not ruin completely.

Las Vegas police reveal plans for new training center

Metropolitan police detailed plans Thursday for a new training center to help officers prepare for active-shooter events and other complex threats to public safety.

1 injured in stabbing on Las Vegas Strip

One person was hospitalized after a stabbing on Las Vegas Boulevard Wednesday evening.

Sisolak orders state flags be flown at half-staff on Oct. 1

Gov. Steve Sisolak issued a proclamation making Oct. 1 “Vegas Strong Day in Nevada” and ordered that all Nevada flags be flown at half-staff at all public buildings.