71°F
weather icon Clear

Wood stove causes house fire in Henderson

A wood stove caused a chimney fire Saturday in Henderson, displacing two adults and significantly damaging the home.

According to a city of Henderson news release, the fire occurred at about 10 p.m. Saturday on the 1000 block of San Gabriel Avenue near Interstate 15 and College Drive.

The two residents safely exited the home before calling 911. Arriving firefighters spotted heavy smoke and flames emerging from the roof of the home.

Damage is estimated at $245,000, according to the release. The cause of the fire was accidental.

The Henderson Fire Department encourages homeowners to have their chimneys inspected regularly and professionally cleaned. The department also recommends choosing seasoned logs when using a wood-burning fireplace and avoiding adding other combustibles, such as paper or cardboard, to the fire.

Contact Rachel Hershkovitz at rhershkovitz@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381. Follow @rzhershkovitz on Twitter.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
Henderson police respond to altercation involving several people

Fire and police responded to the 1200 block of West Warm Springs Road around 8:30 p.m. Friday night after an altercation involving multiple people broke out, Henderson police said.

Henderson to break ground on new park

The City of Henderson is building a new park and will be breaking ground on Wednesday morning.