Updated July 5, 2022 - 7:32 pm
Frankie Moreno has been known to create chaos. That quality is among myriad reasons he’s an apt choice as Palms’ first resident headliner under San Manuel Tribe ownership.
“Frankie Moreno: All The Hits” opens July 29-30 at the resort’s Kaos entertainment space. The multidimensional artist’s series continues through Aug. 19-20, and Sept. 23-24. Show times are 8 p.m. Tickets run $31 to $61, not including fees, on sale 10 a.m. Friday at ticketmaster.com (members of the FM Army can gain early access at FrankieMoreno.com).
If sales merit, Moreno, who has notched a staggering 67 No. 1 singles in iTunes since 2018, can continue the run into 2023. The talented showman and prolific songwriter is already committed to several dates in October through the end of the year. These bookings include set of concerts with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
Moreno also has four shows onsale at Myron’s at Cabaret Jazz, the next on July 12, through October.
— John Katsilometes (@johnnykats) May 11, 2022
Moreno plans to continue his Myron’s dates, but has no shows booked at Vegas hotel-casinos. He’s focused on the Palms and the new vision for Kaos. No longer strictly a nightclub, Kaos is becoming home to a variety of entertainment concepts, beginning with Moreno.
There are several serendipitous connections linking Moreno to the Palms. His first ticketed show ever in Las Vegas was at The Lounge at the Palms summer and fall of 2011. The Tuesday-night series was a $10 cover and packed the room for 2½ months. That run led to Moreno’s residency at the Stratosphere (The Strat, today) from November 2011 through December 2014.
— John Katsilometes (@johnnykats) September 15, 2021
More recently, Moreno has performed dozens of sold-out shows at Myron’s, Golden Nugget and South Point Showroom. He even played Facebook Live shows from an open venue, The Amp at Craig Ranch Regional Park, during the pandemic shutdown in May 2020.
But Moreno might have given a “tell” for plans at Kaos during the Palms’ opening party in April. The grin on his face as he walked through Kaos during The Moonshiners’ performance indicated he had visions of lighting up the room.
“We knew we wanted to do something at the Palms, somehow, and they were talking about this room, Kaos,” Moreno said in a phone chat Monday. “I wasn’t sure it was going to work. But I went on opening night, and when I saw Kaos, I said, ‘OK, this will be perfect. I can already see how I am going to build a show here.’”
Having followed Moreno’s rich history in Vegas, the incoming Palms executive team saw an opportunity for the headliner to bring a fresh show to the star-crossed venue. It helps that one of those officials, Vice President of Entertainment Crystal Robinson-Wesley was been a background singer with Moreno for seven years before signing on with the Palms (she even popped onstage with Moreno’s band at Myron’s last month).
Robinson, hotel GM Cynthia Kiser Murphey, and Entertainment Production Manager Stephanie Sanchez are focusing on presenting Vegas entertainers throughout the property (Saturday’s Yächtley Crëw show notwithstanding).
Moreno has a towering collection of originals to pluck for a 15-song set list. Local artists playing original music might seem a risk in Las Vegas, the Cover Band Capital of the World. But Moreno’s loyal fan community — built over the past seven years by FM Army co-founder Kathy Cornelius — has filled rooms in Vegas and on the road (including this weekend at Casino Del Sol Event Center in Tucson, Arizona). They roar for the Moreno-written music as energetically as “Eleanor Rigby” or “Jailhouse Rock.”
Those fans have also snapped up Moreno’s new singles online every week. They heed Moreno’s call to jump on the iTunes Store app, and sent those 67 songs to the top of the charts. Throughout, Moreno has kept his writing productivity and song quality impressively high.
“It started at the Smith Center, when we did 100 new songs over 10 dates,” Moreno said, referring to a memorable stretch in 2018. “I have been inspired at how Mozart would schedule a performance, and write something specifically for that performance. Then during COVID, I got into a routine of writing a song every day, and we started recording them. I was just conditioning myself. It’s like how you get up, have a cup of coffee, and write. It’s just what you become.”
— John Katsilometes (@johnnykats) May 17, 2019
Moreno’s set list at Kaos will span his entire writing career, beyond even the No. 1s. He’s impressed at the sight lines and acoustic quality of Kaos. The venue was designed to be a top-level nightclub, so the sound is great, throughout. Moreno plans to use (but not over-use) the video technology, focusing on the music. The scene will be replete with cocktail tables on the floor, with capacity at about 500.
In the stage show, Moreno is bringing his band of brother Tony Moreno on bass; Mundo Keali’i (son of Vegas guitar great Mundo Juillerat) on lead guitar; Don Meoli (late of “Jersey Boys”) on drums; the horn section of Pete Bresciani (trumpet and also the occasional banjo), James D’Arrigo (sax) and Diego Morales (sax).
Dre Young and Ashley Kellough are Moreno’s backing singers. There is yet another link to the Palms there, too. Kellough is Robinson’s sister. We could see the sisters reunite onstage, with Robinson singing with her former band.
“I think she’d be up for it, but she wouldn’t be on the bill,” Moreno said. “Hopefully she comes up with some stuff. It’s tricky, because she’s got to wear so many hats. She can’t be running the show and partying with us.”
And the party will be on. It’s called Kaos for a reason.
Great Moments in Social Media
Brandon Flowers and Ronnie Vannucci of The Killers, exuding a very Vegas vibe, posted a photo from France on July 4. “Nevadans in Paris,” is the message, and it’s beautiful.
Nevadans in Paris – 7/4/22 pic.twitter.com/Ms3sorR6sw
— The Killers (@thekillers) July 4, 2022
Cool Hang Alert
Accomplished, dexterous and locally famous songstress Kelly Vohnn performs her Barbra Streisand tribute at 8 p.m. Saturday at The Space. Keith Thompson is pianist/music director, with . Tickets are $25 to $35 (a mere pittance), not including fees. Go to thespacelv.com.
John Katsilometes’ column runs daily in the A section. His “PodKats!” podcast can be found at reviewjournal.com/podcasts. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow @johnnykats on Twitter, @JohnnyKats1 on Instagram.
Frankie Moreno’s No 1s
A full list of No. 1 singles issued by Las Vegas headiner Frankie Moreno, including charts and dates released (listed alphabetically):
- 2020 – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/28/20, BELGIUM 8/29/20
- 5 MONTHS, 2 WEEKS, 2 DAYS – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/27/21
- 57 CHEVY – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/9/20
- ANGEL IN DISGUISE – #1 DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 4/16/21
- ARE YOU THERE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/15/21
- A SUBTLE SPRING – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/20/21
- ANOTHER SILENT NIGHT – #1 US ITUNES SPOKEN WORD 12/3/21
- BABY PLEASE COME HOME – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/18/20
- BACK TO THE BOOGIE – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 6/19/20
- BELIEVING – #1 US ITUNES SPOKEN WORD 12/2/21
- BRAVE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 3/26/21
- CAN’T GO BACK – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/15/21
- CHICKABOOM – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 12/11/20
- DEEPER THAN SKIN – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 2/5/21
- DISGUISE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 6/12/20
- DIZZY WALKIN’ – #1 US / CANADA ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/4/20
- DOUBLIN’ DOWN – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 1/22/21
- EVERYTHING – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 5/15/20
- FLOWER BOMB – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 12/4/20
- GRAY – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/14/20
- HUNG UP – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/16/20
- I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 6/5/21
- I FORGOT TO REMEMBER TO FORGET – #1 DENMARK ITUNES COUNTRY CHARTS 4/22/21
- I’LL BE THERE FOR YOU – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 3/19/21
- ISLAND STYLE – #1 TAIWAN ITUNES REGGAE CHARTS 5/27/20
- IT AIN’T THE WHISKEY – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 11/13/20
- IT FEELS SO RIGHT – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/20/21
- IT’S ALL IN HER JEANS – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 3/5/21
- IT’S ALWAYS BEEN YOU – #1 US / BELGIUM ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 7/2/21
- LET ME BE THE ONE – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 7/9/21
- LITTLE EGYPT – #1 DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 7/17/21
- LIVIN’ LAZY – #1 DENMARK ITUNES REGGAE CHARTS 4/10/20
- LOVE DOCTOR – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 6/26/20
- MYSTERY TRAIN – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 1/8/21
- NORMAL – #1 US/ CANADA / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 3/12/21
- NUMBER 1 – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 12/18/20
- ONE MAN BAND – #1 AUSTRIA ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/1/20
- ONE MORE NIGHT – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/2/20, DENMARK 10/5/20
- OUTSIDE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 11/6/20
- OUTSIDE (CHRISTMAS EDITION) – #1 US ITUNES SPOKEN WORD 11/29/20
- PINK SUGARS AND CREAM – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/10/21
- PUBLIC FIGURE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 1/29/21
- SANDY – #1 DENMARK ITUNES REGGAE CHARTS 4/30/21
- SENDING ME ANGELS – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 7/30/21
- SHATTERED EYES – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 1/15/21
- SLOW – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 4/2/21, BELGIUM 4/3/21
- SOMEBODY TO LOVE YOU – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/3/21
- SOMEDAY, SARAH – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/6/21
- SOMETHING NEW – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/11/21, DENMARK 9/12/21
- STRANGER TO THE SUN – #1 DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 3/4/22
- SWIMMIN’ IN GOLD – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 4/9/21
- THE BEHOLDER – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 7/24/20
- THE BOURBON BLUES – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 7/31/20, CANADA 8/1/20
- THE CHRISTMAS SONG – #1 US ITUNES SPOKEN WORD CHARTS 12/24/20
- THE GOOD OL’ DAYS – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/13/21
- THE MANGO TREE – #1 US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/1/21
- THE NAUGHTY LIST – #1 ITALY ITUNES HOLIDAY CHARTS 3/27/20
- THE PRESENT – #1 US ITUNES SPOKEN WORD 12/1/21
- THE QUEEN IN YOU – US / DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 9/24/21, SWITZERLAND 10/6/21
- THE WINDOW – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/23/20
- THE WRONG DIRECTION – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 5/22/20
- UPSIDE DOWN – #1 AUSTRIA, CANADA ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 3/16/22
- WAITIN’ ON ICE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 10/9/21
- WALK – #1 DENMARK ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 8/7/20, BELGIUM 8/9/20, SPAIN 3/21/21
- WHEN LOVE COMES KNOCKIN’ – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 2/26/21
- WHITE CHRISTMAS – #1 ITALY ITUNES HOLIDAY CHARTS 3/26/20
- YOUR LOVE CAN’T HURT ME NO MORE – #1 US ITUNES BLUES CHARTS 11/20/20