weather icon Clear

Man arrested after threatening to ‘shoot up’ Las Vegas Burger King

A man was in custody Tuesday night after allegedly threatening to “shoot up” a Las Vegas Burger King restaurant because his work hours were reduced.

The 30-year-old man walked into the restaurant at 6677 W. Cheyenne Ave. to confront his manager about the cut in hours, Metropolitan Police Lt. David Gordon said. The man reportedly told the manager he didn’t want to “shoot the place up.”

Metro later identified the man as Steven Ramirez, 37. They arrested him on charges of carrying a concealed gun and a concealed machete without permits, as well as a charge of prohibited person in possession of a gun.

Metro patrol officers and a helicopter were called to the Burger King about 8:30 p.m. and discreetly evacuated six employees and four customers out the back door of the restaurant, Gordon said.

Officers entered the business and took Ramirez into custody. Police found a 30-round magazine for a semi-automatic rifle in his pocket, Gordon said, and detectives immediately began drafting a search warrant for the backpack he was carrying.

Inside the backpack, police found a partially disassembled semi-automatic rifle and a machete, Gordon said. There were 15 bullets inside the magazine found in Ramirez’s pocket.

“Due to the manager’s decision to promptly call 911, and patrol and the air unit’s timely response, a potential workplace violence incidence was averted,” Gordon said.

Contact Max Michor at mmichor@reviewjournal.com. Follow @MaxMichor on Twitter. Review-Journal staff writer Mike Shoro contributed to this story.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
16-year-old shot by another teen, records show

A 16-year-old was fatally shot by another 16-year-old in a friend’s bedroom, according to records from the Metropolitan Police Department and the Clark County coroner’s office.

Dramatic video shows police chase, shootout after carjacking

Justin Leigh Venegas went on a rampage that authorities said sparked an hour-long, 47-mile police chase with cops and Venegas shooting at each other. Police said they had no choice but to pursue.